Fighting Insurance Companies Since 1963
Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC
Family Owned and Operated Since 1963

Southside (773) - 731 - 3311
City (312) - 482 - 8200
South Suburbs (708) - 429 - 2332

Mowimy po polsku * Se habla Español
Client recovers $550,000 for neck and back injury, but has not undergone surgical procedures.     60 year old man sustains major injuries from a train derailment.     Client gets hit by a drunk driver as a passenger of a vehicle and sustains a hip fracture.     79 year old man wins full insurance policy limit of $1,000,000 after surgeon caused paralysis as a result of Kypholasty.     After post-operation malpractices on a coronary artery bypass graft, patient dies due to renal failure.    A cardiologist discharges a 19 year old man without evaluating his serious congenital heart disease. The client dies while playing basketball.     If you or a loved one have been injured through the negligence of another, call Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC. today to get the money and results you deserve. Call (773) 731-3313.          

What to do if you've been injured at work

What to do when you're injured at work

  1. Report your injury or incident to your employer as soon as possible. Make sure you include all of your injuries and symptoms when reporting to your employer.
  2. If you are in any amount of discomfort, you should seek medical attention immediately. 
  3. When seeking medical attention for your injuries, you should see a doctor that specializes in your type of injury.

What not to when you're injured at work

  1. When seeking medical attention, you should NOT continue to receive treatment from the physician your employer chose for you. That doctor may have your employer's best interest in mind, NOT yours. You may occasionally need to be examined by your employer's doctor, but you should seek treatment from someone not associated with your employer.
  2. When you're injured, don't skip doctors appointments because you think your symptoms will go away "on their own." If they don't, and you need more treatment, your lawyer may refuse to pay. 
  3. Do not try to handle your Workers' Compensation case without an attorney. Even if your employer is a "good guy." It's your employer's insurance company that will make all the decisions about your claim. They understand these claims much better than most people. 

Always seek the consultation of an experienced attorney as soon as possible. That's the best way to protect yourself and your claim. 

Under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, you are entitled to three major benefits:

Temporary total disability

You are entitled to two-thirds of your average weekly wage for the period of time that you are off work by order of your doctor to recuperate from your injuries. This benefit is tax-free.

Medical benefits

You are entitled to see two doctors of your choice (plus any referrals to other medical providers by those doctors) under the Act. The workers’ compensation insurance carrier must pay for medical services. You DO NOT have to treat with the company clinic.

Permanent partial disability benefits

While there is not pain and suffering awarded in a workers’ compensation case, the Act recognizes that in most cases, you will not be 100% after a traumatic injury at work. As a result, you are entitled to a permanent partial disability award, which is a percentage of the disability you sustained to the body part from your work accident. This benefit, which many call the settlement or award, is also tax-free.


Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Do I have to treat with the company doctor?

If your employer is trying to force you to treat at their clinic, please note that you do not have to treat there! While some employers require their employees to be examined by their clinic (which would be indicated in your employment contract), many employers try to force their employees into treatment at a clinic that may not have the patient’s best interest in mind.

Do I have to be seen by the insurance company’s independent medical evaluator?

Yes, you must see the independent medical evaluator according to the Act. You must also be on time, or the insurance company will stop your benefits. That said, you must know that the independent medical evaluator has been hired by the insurance company in an effort to downplay your injuries.

How long do I have to report a workers’ compensation claim?

Under the Act, you must report your injuries to your work supervisor orally or in writing within 45 days of the accident. Your employer may tell you that the company rule is that your must do it in 24 hours or even less. While it is good practice to report your injury immediately, the company rule does not supersede the law of the State of Illinois. Don’t fall for this trap.

How long do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim?

If you have reported the accident and your injuries to your supervisor, you have three years to file the Application for Adjustment of Claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, or two years after your medical benefits and temporary total disability benefits have stopped, whichever is longer. If you do not file the claim within this time period, you are not entitled to further medical benefits, temporary total disability benefits, or permanent partial disability benefits. Do not allow yourself to be duped by thinking the insurance company is going to take care of you!

Does my citizenship status stop me from getting workers’ compensation benefits?

Please not that under the Illinois law, you are entitled to benefits no matter what citizenship status you possess.

Can I be fired for filing a workers’ compensation case?

No, your employer cannot fire you solely because you got injured for work and filed a workers’ compensation case. Such bad behavior by the employer can trigger other lawsuits against the employer.

What happens if my medical benefits or temporary total disability benefits are stopped?

In the current climate, this question arises most frequently with Utilization Review and Independent Medical Evaluations. When this happens, you have a choice: either (a) give up and try to work through the pain, or (b) get yourself expert representation through the Vrdolyak Law Group to fight for your rights under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act.

Why Vrdolyak Law Group

As you can see by the FAQ, workers’ compensation law is filled with issues and traps for the unwary. The employers and insurance companies have a whole host of investigators, doctors and lawyers on the payroll to find ways to cut off the benefits you deserve. For nearly 50 years, the Vrdolyak Law Group has been a friend of the injured worker, fighting to ensure that you receive the benefits to which you are entitled.

You are more than a case! One of the scariest and unsettling times in a person’s life is when he or she is injured and unable to provide for his or her family. Unlike other firms out there, our attorneys and staff do not view your case as a way to obtain a quick fee. We evaluate each individual client, their work history, education and recovery from injury to determine how to obtain the most for the client. We listen to your concerns and give you an honest opinion about the best course of action.

Trial Experience. Our workers’ compensation attorneys have more than 40 years of combined experience and have tried thousands of workers’ compensation matters before the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. If the insurance company refuses to give you fair value to settle your case or your injuries require future medical treatment, we will not hesitate to proceed to trial to obtain the benefits you deserve.

Rafael was injured at work and was awarded $750,000 - a real case*.

Vrdolyak Law Group fought for him and got Rafael his workers’ compensation. Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Gary injured his back at work and the insurance company refused to pay! The Vrdolyak Law Group got him over $400,000 ! A real client.

Gary injured his back at work and was unable to work for over a year! The Vrdolyak Law Group fought to get Gary his back pay, medical bills covered and over $400,000 in compensation! Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Beverly was injured at work and her employer refused to pay - a real client.

Beverly contacted the Vrdolyak Law Group and we forced the insurance company to pay her substancial settlement for her injuries. Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Thomas was injured at work and could not go back - a real client.

While at work, Thomas fell off of a ladder injuring his back and shoulder. Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Dean was injured at work. The Vrdolyak Law Group made sure he recieved compensation he deserved! A real client.

Dean was injured while working at his construction job and needed to have surgery. Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Michael injured his back while at work - a real client.

Michael injured his back at work but didn't immediately need surgery. The Vrdolyak Law Group fought to get Michael's medical bills paid and successfully won a settlement for his injury. Read More.


Vrdolyak Law Group, LLC offers reduced rates for police, military and fire.

Recent Verdicts Concerning Johnson's Baby Powder

Vrdolyak cares deeply about the safety of our clients. Click here to find out more about the connection between baby powder and ovarian cancer.

Vrdolyak Can Help You Get the Social Security Disability Benefits You Deserve

Have you or a loved one been denied by the Social Security Administration? Vrydolyak has helped hundreds of people obtain disability benefits they deserve. Click for more information.

Vrdolyak Law Group Proudly Supports USA CARES

Vrdolyak teams up with USA CARES to support our military families. Read about how Vrdolyak contributes to our community.

Vrdolyak Law Group Offers Reduced Fees for Police, Fire, Military and Veterans

We value the contribution of our police, fire and military. Ask us about reduced fees if you've served our community or our country.